The Society for the Teaching of Psychology (APA Division 2) is the first and largest national organization representing the interests of teachers of psychology. Among our members are faculty, staff, & student teaching assistants in secondary schools, community and technical colleges, 4-year colleges and universities, and graduate schools. Membership is open to all who are interested in the teaching of psychology, whether or not you are a member of APA.
Members who login to the web site have access to:
- A searchable membership directory
- Options for updating and displaying your contact information, including selecting your newsletter preference
- Publications for members only
- APA Council of Representatives Reports
- STP Membership Survey Executive Summary
- STP Electronic Newsletters
To meet the needs of psychology teachers, the Society for the Teaching of Psychology:
- Publishes Teaching of Psychology, a quarterly journal devoted to the improvement of teaching and learning.
- Members of the Society for the Teaching of Psychology receive the journal in print as part of their membership.
- Develops teaching materials.
OTRP, the Society's Office of Teaching Resources in Psychology:
- Develops and distributes a variety of peer-reviewed teaching and advising materials.
- Maintains a web site, OTRP-Online, linked to the Society's home page. Most OTRP materials may be downloaded from this site.
- Publishes scholarly volumes devoted to teaching and psychology electronically ("E-books")
- Provides services to faculty. OTRP oversees three member services:
- Bestows teaching & OTRP resource awards. Each year, the Society:
- Fosters a teaching community.
The Society supports activities that help connect psychology teachers to a wider community of scholars. For example, STP
- Owns and operates PsychTeacher, a moderated electronic discussion list.
- Publishes a monthly electronic newsletter, TOPNEWS-Online.
- Offers graduate teaching assistants in psychology a forum to improve their own teaching skills via the new Graduate Student Teaching Assocation
- Sponsors initiatives that foster collaborations among psychology teachers, other professionals in psychology, teachers in other disciplines, business organizations, and local communities.
- Collaborates with other organizations such as the American Psychological Society and the Council for Teachers of Undergraduate Psychology.
- Sponsors programs at conferences
- The Society sponsors a program of invited addresses, papers, symposia, and teaching activity exchanges at the APA convention.
- The Society also cosponsors similar programs, with the Council for Teachers of Undergraduate Psychology, at regional psychology conventions.
- STP initiates and collaborates with other groups to present topical conferences such as the 3-day gathering in September, 2003: "Taking Off: Best Practices in Teaching Introductory Psychology".
Go to the "How To Join" page to see details for joining The Society for the Teaching of Psychology